Hypnosis Cd's and Mp3's To Transform Your Life....

...my life as a therapist and the things that keep
me learning, loving and growing.

Monday, September 7, 2009

Guilty Pleasure Book Review: L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad

I occasionally watch reality television. One of my steady favorites is The Hills. My sister called me the other day and suggested I read L.A. Candy by Lauren Conrad, the star of the Hills. My sister emphasized, "It's a quick fun read if you're looking for a new book". I downloaded it to my Kindle and finished it in a few days.

This book really was a fun read! If you like The Hills, you will enjoy this book. It's an insiders view of the world of reality television. It confirmed my suspicion that reality tv is not so realistic. While reality tv subjects are being themselves, the situations and scenarios are set up to produce drama.

The book shares candid moments of being "miked" and having to repeat conversations so the mikes can record the words clearer. The characters are fictional but I found myself trying to figure out if the fictional characters were actually versions of the characters of Hills. There is a character named Brayden who reminded me of Brody Jenner from The Hills. The main character, Jane, seems to be based on Lauren. Instead of navigating the world of fashion, she is learning the intricacies of being an event planner. The story is compelling and evolves into an interesting climax. The end is a bit of a cliffhanger and leaves the door open for more books to come.

All in all this was a good quick read. The writing could have been better. At times I was confused because the perspective seemed to switch from first person to third and then back again.

I've just started a new book, The Blue Bloods. Very interesting so far. Reminds me a bit of the Twilight Series.

2 comments:

  1. I never did like "The Hills", but I'm a big fan of all the other reality shows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always looking for good books, and sometimes a quick,fun read is just right.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love hearing your thoughts and ideas.