Hypnosis Cd's and Mp3's To Transform Your Life....

...my life as a therapist and the things that keep
me learning, loving and growing.

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Book Review: The Help by Kathyrn Stockett

I loved this book. The characters were so real it seemed like I knew them intimately. When the book ended, I was genuinely sad it was over. I sat hoping for a sequel and realized there probably will not be one. "The Help" left a lasting message of fear and courage, perseverance over racism, suffering and the importance of faith. It's a story about maintaining dignity despite a system that is insanely unjust.

It's set during the civil rights movement in the 1960's. The story is narrated by three main characters. Two are black maids and the other is a white woman who was raised by a black maid. She starts to question "the way things are" and the maids begin to realize it's okay to talk about "the way things are". They take turns narrating and I was compelled and engrossed with each perspective. All so interesting, as each section exemplified the strength needed to be a woman.

This is the best book I've read this summer. This perspective on 1960's race relations seemed so accurate my heart ached for anyone that has experienced racism and inequality. Highly recommended!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a good book! I love it when stories are told from more than one perspective. I'm going to put this one on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment! I love hearing your thoughts and ideas.